Search for next Vice President for Research is launched
President Kaler sent this message to the University community today.
I write to update you on the search for the next vice president for research. As you will recall, Dr. Allen S. Levine was appointed interim vice president for research in January 2017. His permanent appointment began October 2017, and he was to continue through August 31, 2019. Vice President Levine has let me know his desire to step down this fall semester. I appreciate his collaborative and thoughtful leadership; he has done an excellent job guiding the University of Minnesota’s research enterprise.
I have determined that an internal search for the next vice president for research is most appropriate at this time to ensure continuity and aligned leadership of the University’s research agenda. The University of Minnesota is a top 10 public research institution in the United States, and we seek to continue to enhance our research excellence and vision.
A streamlined search committee has been appointed. I want to thank Mostafa Kaveh, interim dean of the College of Science and Engineering, UMTC, for agreeing to serve as chair. The search committee also includes:
- Abimbola Asojo, professor, Department of Design, Housing, and Apparel; and associate dean for research, College of Design, UMTC
- Michelle Biros, professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, Medical School, UMTC; and chair of the Institutional Review Board
- Chelsea Cervantes De Blois, Ph.D. student, Department of Geography, College of Liberal Arts, UMTC
- Megan Gunnar, Regents Professor, Institute of Child Development, College of Education and Human Development, UMTC
- Joseph Konstan, professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, College of Science and Engineering; and chair of the Faculty Consultative Committee, UMTC
- Julie K. Olson, associate professor, School of Dentistry; and member of the Senate Research Committee, UMTC
- Steven Ruggles, Regents Professor, Department of History, College of Liberal Arts; and director of the Minnesota Population Center, UMTC
- Timothy Schacker, professor, Division of Infectious Disease and International Medicine, Medical School, UMTC
- Randy Schiestl, vice president for research and development, Boston Scientific
- Beth Virnig, senior associate dean of academic affairs and research, School of Public Health, UMTC
- Lisa Warren, assistant vice president and chief of staff, Office of the Vice President for Research, U of M system
- Rolf Weberg, executive director, Natural Resources Research Institute, UMD
Please feel free to call Bri Keeney (612-626-9145) in my office if you have any questions.